When planning your portrait clothing, there are a few simple "rules" to follow:
1. Choose colors that will compliment the colors in the room where you are planning on displaying your portrait. Example: if your portrait is to hang in your family room and the colors are warm and soft tones (let's say khahi and browns), you would not want to wear hot pink or bright turquoise as it would not compliment the room colors you already have.
2. Be sure that you stay simple. Patterns are ok if they are not too bold, drawing the eye away from the most important thing; your family's beautiful faces.
3. I often suggest a two color combination, however three colors can really work well when put together with care. For example, many families will start with jeans and white and that can look nice. However, with an addition of another shade of blue, that third color can add dimension and interest to the portrait, without adding a distraction. BUT, be sure when making your selections that you have EACH color represented more than once in the clothing. If not, the one person wearing that color will stand out like a sore thumb.
4. Portraits are a significant investment and we want you to LOVE your portraits forever! So, when selecting clothing, be sure to keep it as timeless as possible. This way the clothes aren't out of style before you get your portrait hung.
5. Do not wear clothes that are too tight or too short. This will not be flattering in the portraits and often limits our posing possibilities. On the other hand, be careful not to have too baggy of clothing either, as it will add weight.
6. During our Design Consultation, we will discuss any questions that you may have. Feel free to bring your clothing options or bring photos of the clothing to the consultation appointment.
Below are some examples of color combinations that families have used in the past.
Hope this helps you get some great ideas!
Fall is HERE!
And it is time to plan your family portrait for 2015!
Below we have Clothing Ideas and Location Ideas too!
Check out the Colors for this Season
and some sample clothing combos that may give you
Inspiration for your family portrait session.
Not sure what location suits your family?
Here are some of the places we love to go: